January 14, 2013

F is for Food: Freezer Snacks

I think nesting has officially set in...Again. 
I did have a brief spurt of it a couple months back 
when I reorganized every single closet and drawer in our house. Like a champ.
Then I ran out of closets and drawers. So now I'm focusing on my OCD cleaning skills.

Regardless of how tired I've been feeling lately, 
(ya, 8 1/2 months pregnant will do that to a girl)
I have pulled my energy into sanitizing, vacuuming/mopping, 
scrubbing, and Windexing everything in sight.

Today, however, I decided it was absolutely imperative that I stock up on freezer snacks.
I thought it would be helpful to have some healthy, filling snacks ready after baby gets here.
Oh, and I blame the freezer obsession on Pintrest. 
Maybe tomorrow I'll get crazy and tackle some freezer crock pot meals?!

Here's what I whipped up today:

Yummy Fruit Cups

Ingredients:
(use your favorite fresh fruit, and portion accordingly)


  • Red Apples, chopped with skin on
  • Purple Grapes, whole
  • Grapefruit segments, and juice
  • Orange segments, and juice
  • Strawberries, cored & sliced in half or quarters
  • Bananas, sliced
  • Blueberries, whole
Add all fresh fruit to a bowl (make sure to use juice of grapefruit and oranges). Mix all together and portion into freezer friendly containers. When ready to eat, defrost in refrigerator for at least 4-6 hrs. 

Cranberry, Green Apple, and Grilled Chicken Orzo


Ingredients:
(makes 4-6 servings)


  • 2 c. orzo or couscous
  • 1 1/2 c. dried cranberries
  • 1 large green apple, skin on, chopped
  • 4 c. sodium free chicken broth (or water)
  • Sliced Almonds
  • Boneless skinless chicken breasts, grilled
  • Salt & Pepper to taste
Dressing:
  • 1/4 c. apple cider vinegar
  • 1/4 c. extra virgin olive oil
  • 3 tbsp. maple syrup
  • 1-2 tbsp. fresh rosemary, minced
Cook pasta to al dente in chicken broth or water (I used a even mix of the two)- meanwhile, make dressing. and grill chicken. Drain pasta and put in large bowl. Add dressing while still warm (it will absorb better). Add green apple and cranberries, toss. Top with grilled chicken slices and almonds. Let come to room temperature then portion into freezer containers. When ready to eat, defrost in refrigerator for at least 6 hrs. Eat cold as a pasta salad or zap in the microwave if you prefer it warm. 



I'd imagine these recipes would be good for anyone that
 needs a 'grab and go' snack item, not just OCD pregnant women, like myself!

Enjoy!
XOXO-LC

No comments:

Post a Comment